On 2 March 2014 19:58, Kevin Ottens <er...@kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 February 2014 17:15:56 John Layt wrote:

>> * Try port away from ki18n to tr().  KUC makes extensive use of ki18nc() and
>> ki18ncp(), but I need to check with Chusselove if all the plural
>> translations can be handled with Qt or if any are scripted.
>>
>> * If we remove those two dependencies then KUC becomes Tier 1, but Tier 2 is
>> fine either way.
>
> Would be nice to have it tier 1 if possible indeed. Nice move.

Still to be done, but I've now removed all the uses of
KLocalizedString in the api of the public classes, so it will be safe
to remove the dependency at any time in the future.

>> * Convert more classes to QSharedData
>>
>> * Some small API changes
>
> Please also do so before beta 1.

Done, and pushed.  It's a BIC  and SIC change, but it appears no-one
has ported to use the KF5 version as yet.  All the classes are now
proper shared data containers, and all the internal implementation
details that had leaked into the public classes have been removed, so
it's a lot cleaner.  I've put the details in the porting guide.  I
still have a few small changes to look at, but this is the serious
stuff done.  I'll clean-up the apidox and add more tests later.

>> Longer term, I've started work on a new Tier 1 library tentatively called
>> KStandards to support the different ISO code standards, and measurement
>> standards and conversions.  I've already converted KCurrencyCode to a new
>> KCurrency class using json files, and KCountry and KUnits should follow in
>> due course to provide a future migration path for apps that need them.
>
> Excellent. Any effort on it should be scheduled at KF 5.1 though.

Yeap, 5.1 is the plan, I want to try get some supporting stuff in Qt
as well, but I'll probably roll a Tech Preview around the KF5 release.

So, now KPrintUtils and KUnitConversion are about done (bar the
KCurrencyCode move), are there any other Frameworks needing review?
At Tier 1 level it just looks like KCodecs, KGuiAddons and KIdleTime
are unclaimed?

Cheers!

John.