On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org> wrote:
> El Dimecres, 9 de juliol de 2014, a les 22:25:29, Albert Astals Cid va
> escriure:
>> El Dimecres, 9 de juliol de 2014, a les 11:59:01, Harald Sitter va escriure:

>> > FWIW, the releaseme script does stripping at tarball creation time and
>> > has done so for many years, it seems the best safeguard against
>> > garbage in the tar (and btw, these also ultimately end up in the .mo,
>> > unless gettext was changed to not include them).
>>
>> Are you sure they end up in the .mo? I'd be pretty surprised about this, i'm
>> almost 99.96% sure it doesn't happen.
>
> As a matter of fact, i just tried and doesn't happen, can you please tell me
> what you tried?

I might be entirely wrong.

While the original commit explicitly comments that this is the case
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=releaseme.git&a=commitdiff&h=1858b03990f1e40938200bcc8e06fce44a007f23&hp=529eace5deb4a1c034a8a7e97b84b05598214aa5

I just looked at old Kubuntu build logs of Amarok 2.3 (which would be
the release series that prompted the addition of stripping) and there
is no drop to be observed at all. So either the assement was wrong or
it was distribution specific problem. Since it was so long ago I
couldn't possibly remember what we did to find the obsolte strings in
the mo.

HS