On 11.09.2014 17:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:
Or do you mean install the custom theme twice, once as itself and once as
hicolor?

Wait - I think I now understand why we're having trouble
communicating about this.

You think a distro has the option to install Oxygen *as*
hicolor, right, making my preferred fallback thing seem
redundant?

That's not so - because numerous apps install app icons
*into* the hicolor folder structure, including KDE apps,
and those can conflict with the icons in a theme. For
distro packagers that means they'd have to fix numerous
package installs to eliminate those conflicts.

This is what Albert pointed out earlier - hicolor is a
multi-stakeholder namespace, so you need to be very
careful to only install icons there that you can reason-
nably assume no one else wants to install. In practice
that means apps only put app icons there, but plenty of
"explicit themes" also include app icons.

So using any given theme *as* hicolor doesn't fly without
manual merging/maintenance work for packagers, which is
what I suggest to avoid with a 'preferred system fallback'
config knob.

Cheers,
Eike