Martin Graesslin wrote:

> That is in deed a better approach. I'm still questioning whether it's the
> right thing to do on OSX, but that would then be up to the OSX developers to
> decide on.

I'll handle that tomorrow.

> But if the platformtheme plugin does get moved to Plasma I would say that it
> doesn't belong there as I think Plasma should only care about targeting X11
> and Wayland. That's something the Plasma team needs to decide on, though. At

I don't remember the details, but I recall a discussion (probably on KDE-Mac) a
while ago about components from KDE4 that make perfect sense on OS X (in a
packaging approach like MacPorts') were moved to Plasma, and how that could
lead
to problems.

>> "Never say never" mean anything to you?
>
> Sure! It's not possible to exchange the Quartz compositor. This means: never.
> Sorry to say, but I have been in the WM business a few years now and I know
> what's possible and what isn't ;-)

However Apple calls their displaying technology nowadays, the window server and
any related underlying technologies are indeed conceived to be impossible to
take over or replace, once launched. It is however possible to log into OS X in
console mode, and from there you can launch (or ought to be able, I never
tried)
anything else that takes over whatever handles the user interface. This is more
or less what the defunct PureDarwin and OpenDarwin projects did, or aimed to do.

OS X doesn't have a window manager, it has a window server that does a lot more
than managing windows in X11 style. There is no dissociation between display
server, window manager, and the various layers in between, except to some
extent
in the names of the SDKs involved.

R.