On Monday, January 18, 2016 8:53:22 AM EST Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2016, Matthew Dawson wrote:
> > It appears this is the desired behaviour.  On most platforms,
> > GenericConfigLocation and ConfigLocation are the same things, except
> > Windows. According to Qt's history, ConfigLocation was supposed to act
> > like GenericConfigLocation, but a mistake was made and
> > GenericConfigLocation was introduced to fix that without breaking
> > existing applications.  See commit
> > 44d48862c0ff4b67a76734deae5e76f926a77bce .
> >
> > KConfig was then changed to use GenericConfigLocation as well, see commit
> > b3487a0684fa464ada0cd3407e96d0406345a42a in kdelibs (this happened before
> > the split).  On all platforms except Windows, that is how KConfig has all
> > behaved. Even in KDE4, config files were often put in the same directory,
> > just not a standard directory shared by the platform.
> >
> > Based on the commit history, I'd say it makes sense.  Anything else would
> > yield platform inconsistent behaviour, which is more likely to confuse
> > people. If ConfigLocation wasn't inconsistent across platforms, that
> > would be a different story.
>
> Hm, but I don't think that having kritarc in a directory called "local" on
> every platform is important: the important thing is to have it in the
> location that's "normal" on those platforms.
Taking a quick look at my Win7 machine suggests that the path Qt uses for
GenericConfigLocation is a mix of .config/.local/.cache on *nix.  According to
Qt's documents, no other system uses a local/ folder for
GenericConfigLocation.  So that seems "normal".

> > Regardless, changing the default behaviour now is a no go, as that would
> > break everyone's setup.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to a method to
> > allow KConfig to easily store config files in an application appropriate
> > folder.  It couldn't break existing applications though.  I also don't
> > think most things should need it anyways, since most applications only
> > have one config file. Something like akonadi (which already uses a
> > subfolder in my .config) makes sense, and I could see it making sense for
> > Krita.  Maybe some way to use AppConfigLocation?  We'd have to be careful
> > with that though, since it's>
> > >=5.5.
>
> I'm fine with 5.5 as a minimum for my own purposes :-). I just don't want to
> have to change a couple of hundred locations to explicitly pass
> AppConfigLocation.
I meant that a patch for KConfig would have to be careful, since KConfig can't
depend on 5.5 (yet).  I think just using the defaults will be ok, if you have
only one config file.  If you have more, then I'd agree that AppConfigLocation
seems better.

--
Matthew