On Tuesday 19 January 2016 15:56:47 you wrote:
> I briefly talked about this with David yesterday and looked at the code.
> What happened previously in kded5:
> - it installs a message filter using libdbus API

QtDBus API. In fact, it's QtDBus API that exists and has existed only for kded
(and now kiod).

> - when a message to a not-yet-loaded module comes along, the module
>   is loaded on the fly and directly from the message filter function
>   before the message is allowed to continue on its way
>
> What happens now:
> - the D-Bus connection lives in its own thread, in order to facilitate
>   using the connection from arbitrary threads in the application
> - this puts the message filter in the D-Bus thread
> - multithreading issues ensue

Because the new QtDBus code assumes that certain functions will always be
called from any-thread-but-QDBusConnectionManager's, as the code is very
careful to not ever call to user code in the manager's thread. The spy
function breaks that promise and I didn't catch it when designing the threaded
model.

> At the moment, you can pick between various poisons and eventually you
> have two threads waiting for each other and kded5 is mostly deadlocked.
> The suggested solution is probably to *queue* messages to not-yet-loaded
> modules and to continue processing other D-Bus message while the
> required modules for the queued message are loading. That would break
> reasonable expectations about message ordering and blocking the least, I
> guess.

Actually, we'll queue them all, since we don't know which messages trigger
the spy function in the main thread and, after it returns, we'll reinject the
message into the normal QtDBus processing.

> Regarding the current situation, the synchronous module loading was okay
> before the Qt change unless modules somehow made D-Bus calls to
> something else than the daemon (to register their address) just by being
> loaded.
> We have had lots of kded5 issues due to blocking calls over the years
> but I don'r remember seeing module loading in any backtraces.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358