On Thursday August 10 2017 11:53:21 David Faure wrote:

> > Will do. The http.so binary exists, loads (using a simple dlsym wrapper
> > utility) and also has what looks to be the proper plugin info according to
> > qtplugindump.
>
> Sounds like it's not found then, check Qt's plugin path (qmake -query)
> and $QT_PLUGIN_PATH.

It's where it's supposed to be:

QT_INSTALL_PLUGINS:/opt/local/share/qt5/plugins

rjvbertin  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ftp.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/ghelp.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/help.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/http.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/remote.so
  /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/trash.so

As far as I can tell the file and ftp schemes are found (the former actually
works, the latter complains about internal errors after posting a password
dialog or simply shows "0 files 0 dirs").

Is there no utility that prints the list of available plugins (including those
installed by kio-extras) and possibly some diagnostics about why certain
plugins are rejected?

Something else: who (what executable) posts the actual password dialog?