ngraham added a comment.

  @markg I'm in favor of keeping the conditional logic for the frames. If we
think of this from an aesthetic point of view, we should draw frames and
shadows around images that actually look better as a result. Those would be
square and rectangular images with no transparency, which are pretty common for
typical users. Images with transparency don't look good with the frames and
shadows, so this patch turns them off. I don't think the inconsistency will
bother people. On the contrary, the unnecessary *consistency* is what's
bothering some people! :)

  I suspect you're right that originally, this feature was an attempt to mimic
macOS Finder. Finder IMHO does a much worse job than we currently do or that we
would do with this patch: it currently puts a frame around every image file
unconditionally. It makes no attempt to detect icon files that look better with
no frame, and it suffers from the "double frame" issue for window screenshots
that include a shadow. I think if we land this patch and D15069
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D15069>, our file dialog and Dolphin will have a
better behavior. :)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO