rjvbb added a comment.

  This is in fact cmake's fault, or ECM's for not taking a cmake quirk into
account.

  If you add an unknown option then all subsequent tests to see if the compiler
supports a given argument will fail because cmake does not take into account
which of the options generates a warning or error.

  It's probably also a build system issue that builds break because of this.
Instead of adapting it continues to add the visibility options, but the
headerfiles that should add export magic to public symbols do not contain that
magic.

  Back when I found the origin of the issue (and created my diff, a few months
ago) this affected only relatively few projects and I could for instance build
most if not all of the frameworks with an Apple clang that vaguely corresponds
to v3.5 .

  The most appropriate quick fix is in my previous comment - evidently this
supposes that no unsupported compiler argument is already present in the
arguments list.

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

To: vonreth, aacid, apol, dfaure, rjvbb, bcooksley