ngraham added a subscriber: andreask.
ngraham added a comment.

  This is a variant of the issue we've seen with desktop icons and UI elements
on the login screen: there is no way to ensure legibility against arbitrary
backgrounds without a contrast-adding element of some sort, like a shadow or a
flat color background There is no other way.

  Now, that doesn't mean that the contrast element needs to be a horizontal bar
at the bottom of the delegate like I've got it here. @andreask posted a mockup
of something that looked pretty nice to me:

  F6582097: Screenshot_20190201_163049.png
<https://phabricator.kde.org/F6582097>

  But there has to be //some// contrast-adding element, or else it is
inevitable that the icon will be illegible with some backgrounds.

REPOSITORY
  R296 KDeclarative

To: ngraham, #vdg, #plasma, broulik
Cc: andreask, filipf, abetts, GB_2, kde-frameworks-devel, michaelh, ngraham,