meven added a comment.

  >> Conditionalize the code here with version ifdefs so that people only get
both new entries when using kio-extras from 19.12.0

  It is already the case : users won't get the new entries without
recentlyused:/ installed,
`KProtocolInfo::isKnownProtocol(QStringLiteral("recentlyused")` takes care of
that without ifdefs (still that is not a perfect solution).
  The code in KIO will stay dormant as a sort of runtime dependency, where as
long as something is missing it stays almost non-present.

  A nice consequence of moving recentlyused:/ to KIO is that it will hit users
sooner than Applications 19.12 is released consequently.

  But the feature in kactivitymanagerd D23112
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D23112>, its improvement D23737
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D23737> and gwenview D23741
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D23741> will only be part of 19.12, making look
recentlyused:/files somewhat unfinished until 19.12 is released...
  We could backport the gwenview improvement to 19.08.x though.

  I don't mind moving recentlyused:/ to KIO if we feel it necessary, it is not
without consequences though.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

To: meven, #dolphin, broulik, elvisangelaccio, #vdg, #frameworks, ngraham
Cc: meven, trickyricky26, andreask, huftis, svenmauch, kde-frameworks-devel,
spoorun, andreaska, gregormi, markg, alexeymin, broulik, elvisangelaccio,
dfaure, davidedmundson, ltoscano, #konqueror, iasensio, fprice, LeGast00n,
MrPepe, fbampaloukas, alexde, GB_2, Codezela, feverfew, michaelh,
navarromorales, firef, ngraham, andrebarros, bruns, emmanuelp, mikesomov