On Friday, 2011-04-01, Duncan wrote:

> NOW we're getting somewhere!  Take a look at the xdg-utils package, which
> seems to be authored in part by kde's own Kevin Krammer, as it happens,
> active on the kde lists.  So maybe he'll step in with some suggestions.

xdg-open is basically just a wrapper around tools like kde-open, xfce-open,
etc. so program not using GIO/KIO stacks can still invoke the user's preferred
application for a given file or URL.

So in most cases invocations will end up in either GIO or KIO libraries, which
then in turn figure out MIME type or URI scheme, associated application and
finally launching.

I think xdg-mime can be used to query the preferred application, together with
kstart this could be used to achieve what Daniel is looking for.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring