On Monday, 2012-01-23, Duncan wrote:

> Meanwhile, of course, with 4.8 kde is introducing the new ksecrets
> framework, designed to be api compatible with gnome-keyring (tho the
> backends are different),

Just to clarify: secret service is actually a new API for services providing
secure local storage. One implementation of such a service is gnome-keyring,
though a lot of GNOME based programs still use the old, gnome-keyring specific,
API.

There is some progress on a KDE based implementation for both the service and
the client part of a secret service setup.
The service component will at some point be run as part of a KDE workspace
setup, offering its services to any client application developed for the secret
service API.
The client library will allow KDE applications to access any other service
implementation, e.g. when the KDE application is running in a setup which uses
gnome-keyring as the storage service.

The KWallet API will be implemented in terms of the new API, thus making
KWallet using applications use the currently running secret service.

> and over the next several kde versions, it's
> likely various apps will switch to ksecrets from kwallet, leaving kwallet
> deprecated, altho I'm guessing it'll remain available thru the kde4
> series.

Indeed.

> But whether it'll be in kde 5 or whether ksecrets will take over
> for kde5 and they'll drop kwallet, remains to be seen.

I don't think this is a question of "if". It is more a question of whether we
will see a stand-alone or shared service implementation being used by common
workspace setups.

In any case this won't change anything for the thread starter until there is a
service implementation that does not store the data in an encrypted file but in
plain text based file(s).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring