On Friday, 2012-04-06, John Woodhouse wrote:

> Another odd aspect is that I can only find all of them as root. I assume
> this is because the disk contains one of my old home directories.
> Searching as none root does bring some up though.

My guess would be that file system access restrictions prevent applications
running as your user from accessing those other directories.
In which case I wouldn't call that "odd" because that's how the file system is
expected to work.

> Bit worrying as I often
> view system files as an ordinary user - no chance of changing them unless
> I really intend to. I miss konq's file bookmarks for that sort of thing.

Hmm, Konqueror's file bookmarks still work for me.
Haven't used those in ages since I am only visiting a handful of directories
regularily and I have added those to the Places toolbar/dock.
But I just tried and I could add and follow a bookmark to a directory.

> It's very handy and saves remembering where they are. I don't suppose I
> can still use kate in that way either when I do want to modify one.

No problems using Kate's bookmarks either, actually use them a lot.

> Mentioned on here because maybe subsequent releases have addressed these
> anomalies.

Bookmarks have definitely always worked. I use Konqueror as my main browser and
it doesn't make any difference locations as far as I can tell and all version's
of Kate that I have been using over the years had working bookmarks since that
feature was introduced.

> While use jargon might I also mention to Kevin that the real
> stake holders are the users. Devs don't really have the same relationship
> to their work.

I think that largely depends on what kind of software we talk about and how it
is developed. For Free and Open Source software it is almost guaranteed that a
developer is also a user of that software.
This is basically the number one reason people work on certain programs, i.e.
needing the program yourself.

There are only a few exceptions, e.g. developers of assistive technology might
not need that assitance themselves, however then again some will work on those
because they closely relate to a person who does.

The two sets "users" and "developers" have such a huge overlap that one can
safely approximate "developers" to be a subset of "users".

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring