On 12/10/12 20:45, Anne Wilson wrote:
Antivirus software definitely does work - as long as it is set up to receive signature updates regularly. The reason there are so many infected computers is that many people don't use an AV product at all, others install one, preferably a free-as-in-beer one, and don't properly set up updates. I know one user who has used Windows daily for 20+ years and never had a single infection. Education on key risks is the key. And no, Linux isn't safe from malware. Safer than Windows, yes, if you leave holes in Windows, but an unprotected computer, whichever OS it is using, is likely to be compromised sooner or later.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.372.IS:
http://www.ic3.gov/media/2012/120508.aspx

Oh, I did mail you that Norton security breach right?

And another scenario you may not believe. How did Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1 released to P2P networks even before MS released anything about it?