On 05/08/17 18:31, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Saturday August 05 2017 17:24:13 Kevin Krammer wrote:

I think they are part of the KTextEditor Framework now, Kate and friends
depend on.

The SyntaxHighlighting framework, nowadays. AFAIK the system location for the
highlighthing files is
$prefix/share/org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax . User-specific copies (also
those downloaded with Kate's built-in updater) are stored in
~/.local/share/org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax .

I've put the modified xml file in ~/.local/share/org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax but it's not being used. Kate still uses the built-in file.

If I click on the "Download Highlighting Files" button in Kate, I get an error:

"The list of highlightings could not be found on / retrieved from the server"

And a notification pops up that shows the URL that was used to download the files:

  https://kate-editor.org/syntax/update-5.36.xml

Which indeed does not exist on that server.

So how do I test changes I make to an xml file? :-/