On Monday, 16 April 2018 1:20:10 AM NZST cr wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 April 2018 2:48:48 PM NZST Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >
> > The read/unread status is actually part of the filename.
> > I.e. a "read" message's filename contains an "S" (for Seen).
> >
> > The new/cur is something else if I remember correctly.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Ah, now that appears to be consistent with what I can see.   My 'Ford'
> folder in kmail showed just 3 unread messages and just 3 of the files
didn't
> have 'S' at the end of their filename.   I just marked them as 'read' in
> Kmail and all the files now are suffixed 'S'.
>
> Ford/'cur' and 'new' between them contain 119 files and Kmail is
showing...
> 119 messages!   So all present and correct.   That's a relief.   Thanks
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Umm, I've done some Googling.
Apparently, according to the Maildir specification, unread messages
should be in 'new' and should be moved to 'cur' when they are "found by a
cognizant maildir reading process" (whatever that means)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir
It should also attach suffixes such as 'S' for 'Seen' etc - which Kmail
evidently does.
My conclusion is that, for my purposes, I don't need to worry about 'cur' or
'new', the files all show up as messages in the respective Kmail folder.

Chris