1) Can the user (once logged in) do a kinit? (If not check krb5.conf permissions, and contents.)

2) Can the user (once kinit'ed) get a host service ticket? (Try telnet'ing to yourself at the external network address. I think that will do it. If not you need a second machine.)

3) Does the local keytab work? (Try kinit -k as root. klist should show you are kinit'ed as host/[EMAIL PROTECTED])

4) Does the host service ticket agree with the one in the local /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab? (Not sure exactly how to check this. The Solaris ktutil doesn't show much info. Presumably if both 2 and 3 work it should be OK, but they might be different kvno's.)

Don't know if Sol 8 is completely like Sol 9, but the pam modules need the host principal to work for full functionality on 9.

Isn't there a debug option for the pam modules?