From: Christopher Lamb [mailto:christopher.l...@ch.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:09 PM
To: kerby@directory.apache.org
Subject: Using Kerby kerb-client as an alternative for GSS-API for Kerberos
Single Sign On.

Hi all

I hope this is the appropriate mailing list for this type of question. Or would
it be better on the Directory Developers’ list?

I am considering using Kerby kerb-client as an alternative to Java GSS-API for
a Java client application in a Kerberos single sign on environment.

In my proof of concept setup I am using FreeIPA clients and servers.  When the
user logs on to his workstation he is authenticated by the FreeIPA KDC, and
gets a TGT which is cached in the default credentials cache. When he wishes to
access services from the application server (which is a Service Principal), the
TGT in the credentials cache is used to get a Service Ticket, which should also
be cached in the credentials cache for future use.

With a throwaway Python GSS-API client this worked perfectly. "klist" shows
both the TGT and the SGT in the credentials cache. But trying to do the same
thing with Java GSS-API I ran into problems. While the Client is able to
retrieve a Service Ticket, and thus login to the Service Principal, the SGT is
not cached. Thus every request to the Service Principal requires KDC
interaction. Not good.

In my search for alternatives, I came across Kerby kerb-client, and am
experimenting with it, but so far without success despite much debugging and
scanning of Kerby code.

Here is the question: Can the Kerby kerb-client be configured to access an
existing Kerberos credential cache (as opposed to a KeyTab), and to use the TGT
ticket within, and to cache new service tickets? In this case the existing
credentials cache is from

So far I have found no config to do so. Searching through the Kerby code I find
references to things like  ‘credCache’, ‘KRB5_CACHE’, ‘ARMOR_CACHE’.
However in AbstractInternalKrbClient.requestTGT() I can’t find any USE_xxx
options that seem appropriate for using a credentials cache.

Have I missed something obvious? If so, which options should I be configuring?

Thanks

Chris