I am sorry, I unfortunately got distracted by trying to finish some feature for
the next release. And I must admit right now I have no good idea how to
proceed. The pages that got dumped at least to me show no pattern that points
to a certain process. You might be in a better position there since you know
better what those instances are doing.
The only vague suspect might be something that does asynchronous I/O (just
because that would to a certain degree use anonymous pages which seem to be
ending up on free lists incorrectly). If there was to be certain processes you
would know to use aio and if that would be configurable, it would be worth
trying to turn that off and see whether the instance survives. Or if there are
independent tasks that cause some of the load and could be turned off and on,
maybe it would become more obvious which direction to look. Though I doubt this
is possible.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1178707

Title:
  Kernel Panics - ec2

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Kernel Versions affected: 2.6.32-346-ec2 #51-Ubuntu
                                                  2.6.32-309-ec2 #18-Ubuntu SMP
                                                  3.0.0-32-virtual
#51~lucid1-Ubuntu SMP
                                                  2.6.32-351-ec2 #64-Ubuntu SMP

  Release:      10.04

  We're seeing Kernel Panics across a variety of different instance types on
AWS all running 10.04 on the following AMIs
  ami-da0cf8b3
  ami-3fe54d56

  We've tested with Various Kernels and still have had the issue.  I've
attached the console output from a few of the servers where the panics occur as
well as the
  ---
  AlsaDevices: Error: command ['ls', '-l', '/dev/snd/'] failed with exit code
2: ls: cannot access /dev/snd/: No such file or directory
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
  Frequency: Once every few days.
  Lspci:

  Lsusb: Error: command ['lsusb'] failed with exit code 1:
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcCmdLine: root=LABEL=cloudimg-rootfs ro xencons=hvc0 console=hvc0
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcModules: acpiphp 23989 0 - Live 0xffffffffa0000000
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-32.51~lucid1-virtual 3.0.69
  Regression: No
  Reproducible: No
  Tags: lucid kconfig needs-upstream-testing
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-32-virtual x86_64
  UserGroups:
  ---
  AlsaDevices: Error: command ['ls', '-l', '/dev/snd/'] failed with exit code
2: ls: cannot access /dev/snd/: No such file or directory
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
  Frequency: Once every few days.
  Lspci:

  Lsusb: Error: command ['lsusb'] failed with exit code 1:
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcCmdLine: root=/dev/sda1 ro 4
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcModules: ipv6 293511 12 - Live 0xffffffffa0000000
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-309.18-ec2 2.6.32.21+drm33.7
  Regression: No
  Reproducible: No
  Tags: lucid kconfig needs-upstream-testing
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-309-ec2 x86_64
  UserGroups: