Hi,

I also had the problem where my kubuntu 12.04 install was completely
hardware freezing - i.e absolutely no response from any input device and
in particular CTRL+ALT+SysRq REISUB was not responding at all either.

I found the problem was happening close to when I was switching the
external monitor on & off (I switch it via a KVM switch).

Note that I use x11vnc to remotely connect to the same desktop, and I
think that may have helped trigger the fault.

I updated ALL installed software, but to no avail, it was happening 3 or
4 times a day ...

*** THE FOLLOWING FIX WORKED FOR ME -been ROCK SOLID for a week now ***

I installed the following kernel upgrade described here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/142192/can-i-install-linux-kernel-3-4-in-
ubuntu-and-kubuntu-12-04

So I downloaded from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.4-precise/

And did:
sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.4.0-030400_3.4.0-030400.201205210521_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i
linux-headers-3.4.0-030400-generic_3.4.0-030400.201205210521_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.4.0-030400-generic_3.4.0-030400.201205210521_i386.deb

Rebooted, and the problem completely disappeared (so far anyway !)

My machine specs:

uname -r
3.4.0-030400-generic

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V-LX

I am using the onboard video, with nothing but the default kubuntu video
installation.

lshw output follows:

bridge2
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: vsyscall32
  *-core
       physical id: 0
     *-memory
          physical id: 0
          size: 31GiB
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 1
          bus info: cpu@0
          size: 1600MHz
          capacity: 1600MHz
          width: 64 bits
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8
apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht
tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln
pts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms cpufreq
     *-pci
          product: Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 09
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
          resources: irq:0
        *-pci:0
             product: Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 09
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:42
        *-display
             product: Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 09
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:46 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff
memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
        *-usb:0
             product: Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 14
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
             version: 04
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: xhci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=xhci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:44 memory:f7c00000-f7c0ffff
        *-communication
             product: Panther Point MEI Controller #1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.0
             version: 04
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=mei latency=0
             resources: irq:47 memory:f7c1a000-f7c1a00f
        *-usb:1
             product: Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1a
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
             version: 04
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: ehci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:23 memory:f7c18000-f7c183ff
        *-multimedia
             product: Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1b
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
             version: 04
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
             resources: irq:48 memory:f7c10000-f7c13fff
        *-pci:1
             product: Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1c
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
             version: c4
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:16
        *-pci:2
             product: Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 5
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1c.4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.4
             version: c4
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:16 ioport:e000(size=4096)
ioport:f0000000(size=1048576)
           *-network
                product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
                vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 09
                serial: 60:a4:4c:57:98:ab
                size: 100Mbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl8168f-1_0.0.4 03/27/12
ip=192.168.1.50 latency=0 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
                resources: irq:45 ioport:e000(size=256)
memory:f0004000-f0004fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff
        *-pci:3
             product: 82801 PCI Bridge
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1c.5
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.5
             version: c4
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
           *-pci
                product: ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge
                vendor: ASMedia Technology Inc.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
                version: 03
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
                resources: iomemory:202001f10-202001f0f
        *-usb:2
             product: Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1d
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
             version: 04
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: ehci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:23 memory:f7c17000-f7c173ff
        *-isa
             product: Panther Point LPC Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
             version: 04
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-storage
             product: Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
             version: 04
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: storage ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
             resources: irq:43 ioport:f0b0(size=8) ioport:f0a0(size=4)
ioport:f090(size=8) ioport:f080(size=4) ioport:f060(size=32)
memory:f7c16000-f7c167ff
        *-serial UNCLAIMED
             product: Panther Point SMBus Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
             version: 04
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:f7c15000-f7c150ff ioport:f040(size=32)

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “linux” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Precise:

  Update: 6/12/2012
  This bug is about a complete system lock-up. No other TTYs can be started.
Mouse doesn't move. Keyboard doesn't react. The only solution is hard reset.

  Seems to happen on a variety of configurations, including nVidia, ATI
  and Intel graphics.

  If you are still able to TTY or SSH into other sessions, move the
  mouse or use the keyboard, file another bug.

  Thx. Joris V. (brains).

  Update: 5/21/2012
  Updating the kernel to 3.3.6 as suggested by Michael in #91, the system seems
stable, no freezes yet in 5-6 hrs of using and watching videos for couple of
hrs.

  Original description:
  I recently installed newly released ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit version on my
desktop. And it is frequently freezing, for the first few hours it ran smoothly
and when I started watching videos it started freezing randomly.
  I have to use hard restart every time.
  Initially it was only during videos but now even during normal browsing it is
freezing.

  I am using on board graphics and do not have any graphics card
  installed.

  Can someone please help me here, I really love the new looks of 12.04
  and it bugs me not being able to use :(

  Below is my hardware configuration:
  Processor: Intel CORE i3 processor (2nd generation)
  Board: Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL
  Ram: 4GB
  Graphics: On board
  HDD: 500 GB

  Please let me know if you need more information, or any specific logs
  I can capture (and how).

  Thanks,
  Ketan Patil