I built a test kernel with commit
2c1350fdeaefefe1a149d3b083383409f43f0daa reverted, as suggested in
comment #78.  Can you test this kernel to see if it still exhibits this
bug?  It can be downloaded from:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1201528/

  [Realtek ALC889] - Audio Playback Unavailable

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “alsa-driver” source package in Raring:
  New
Status in “linux” source package in Raring:
  Incomplete
Status in “alsa-driver” source package in Saucy:
  New
Status in “linux” source package in Saucy:

  This is a fresh upgrade to raring. During the weekend, I updated from
  precise to quantal, and from there to raring. I did not use sound
  while the system was in quantal, so no idea if the bug was present
  there as well.

  The symptom is:

  * after some period of sound usage, playback stops working

  What I mean with sound usage is:

  I tried having a meeting with: mumble, skype, and google hangout, and
  in all three cases, audio input/outout will work just fine for ~5
  minutes, and the playback just dies (people tell me they keep
  listening to me, so mic works fine).

  The only way to solve this is by rebooting. After one of the reboots,
  I was able to play a 20 minute video with mplayer with no further
  issue. Then opened skype and after ~3-5 minute talk, audio playback
  died again.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-26.38-generic 3.8.13.2
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-26-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  nessita    2627 F.... pulseaudio
  Date: Mon Jul 15 14:40:20 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha amd64
(20111129.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:MID failed
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTestStderr:
   W r i t e   e r r o r :   - 5 , I n p u t / o u t p u t   e r r o r
    x r u n _ r e c o v e r y   f a i l e d :   - 5 , I n p u t / o u t p u t
e r r o r
    T r a n s f e r   f a i l e d :   O p e r a t i o n   n o t   p e r m i t t
e d
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel MID
  Symptom_Jack: Green Headphone Out, Front
  Symptom_Type: None of the above
  Title: [, Realtek ALC889, Green Headphone Out, Front] Playback problem
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-07-13 (2 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 08/05/2009
  dmi.bios.vendor: Intel Corp.
  dmi.bios.version: KGIBX10J.86A.3206.2009.0805.1855
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: DP55WG
  dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.board.version: AAE57269-404
  dmi.chassis.type: 2
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnIntelCorp.:bvrKGIBX10J.86A.3206.2009.0805.1855:bd08/05/2009:svn:pn:pvr:rvnIntelCorporation:rnDP55WG:rvrAAE57269-404:cvn:ct2:cvr: