** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  ASUS K53SV won't reboot, shutdown or suspend on 14.10

  After I've updated ubuntu to Utopic on my laptop (Asus K53SV)   I
  can't shutdown, reboot or suspend.  System just hangs on "Will now
  halt" or "Will now reboot".  Different combinations of kernel params
  "acpi=force", "acpi=off" etc didn't help.

  I've also tried to boot from liveUSB(14.10) with the same result.

  After some investigation I found that shutdown, reboot etc actually
  works with kernel 3.13 from previous ubuntu version, but not with
  kernel 3.16(default) or 3.18 so it is quite definitely a kernel bug.