[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  kubuntu laptop brightness dims due to screensaver and other apps

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Using Jaunty Jackalope, kubuntu, I'm experiencing odd errors with the
  laptop brightness display.

  When the screensaver is enabled, and by this I mean it set to start up
  in X amount of minutes, my display will dim to the lowest or near-
  lowest setting.  Every time I try to brighten it by either setting in
  KDE or by my laptop FN keys it will convert back to the lowest
  setting.  Interestingly, the brightness sliders in the powersaving
  programs or the battery widget remain at the highest setting.

  OK, so the workaround for that was to simply disable the screensaver.
  However, I soon discovered that OpenGL games such as etracer and
  neverball would also dim the display upon starting (or even attempting
  to start; this occured when there was an error with an openSDL package
  that prevented the game from starting--but that's another separate
  issue I had dealt with).  VLC and Dragon Player both dim the backlight
  upon loading a movie, as well.

  Laptop is a Acer Aspire 7720Z, graphics card is  Intel GM965 / X3100.
  Hopefully this report is adequate, I don't know what else to add.