Since this is a boot issue, I've set the package to "linux", following
the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage#When_installing_Ubuntu_.28or_Derivatives.29

** Package changed: ubuntu => linux (Ubuntu)

  Unable to boot from installation media

  I've been using Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop for a number of years now.
  When I installed it, I had to pass the kernel option acpi=off in order
  to get it to boot correctly, both from the live CD and after
  installation. Otherwise, it has worked well (obviously, without ACPI
  features being present).

  I am now trying to install my OS from scratch, and am attempting to do
  so with 14.04. However, I have been completely unable to get the
  system to boot into the installer without freezing or rebooting. I
  have tried the kernel options nolapic, noapic, acpi=off, acpi=ht, and
  irqpoll, in a large number of combination, and both with a BIOS and
  UEFI boot. I also flashed my BIOS to the latest firmware, which seems
  to have made the boot process last a bit longer before freeze/reboot,
  but given that I never timed it, that's a very non-scientific
  assessment.

  I've tried booting with Debian, Fedora, and ArchLinux disks as well,
  all to no avail, so I do not believe this is an Ubuntu-specific issue.
  It seems that there's been some kernel level change since 12.04
  causing issues. I'm hoping that there's some workaround or kernel boot
  option to be passed in.

  I'm not certain what the most useful information to provide is. Since
  I'm currently running from Ubuntu 12.04, I can run any command that OS
  supports to provide you with more system information. In case it's
  useful, I've attached the output of dmidecode.

  My motherboard is an MSI H77MA-G43.