I've reported separate bug #1218429 (casper-bottom/14locales should check if
locale isn't already generated)
It seems command /usr/sbin/locale-gen , used in 14locales script, should detect
that en_US .UTF-8 is already generated, but doesn't detect during startup of
live system and generates already generated locale :(

  Excessive memory usage on live CD

Status in “casper” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in Baltix GNU/Linux:

  I was poking around the /cow filesystem to see how much memory was
  being used and why.  The figure was higher than I expected (14M), and
  the bulk of it was due to two things:

  /var/cache/debconf - the templates are huge, but we're also storing
  two copies of them (templates.dat and templates.dat-old).  Unlinking
  templates.dat-old should immediately free up 5M of memory, at least
  until ubiquity runs.  It would be nice if we could avoid this
  entirely, though.  An md5sum check reveals that templates.dat and
  templates.dat-old are identical; if it's unchanged, then why make a
  backup?  I don't see why this file should need to change during a
  casper session

  /lib/modules - something is causing many kernel modules to be copied,
  but not all of them.  I'll attach a list.