Yes Ralph, you are correct as I got confirmation from Conniccal  today
that it is not a grub problem and that in fact it is the 3.16.0.36
kernel that is not compatible with grub 2 beta~ which they bounced on us
recently.

As I said I just deleted all 3.16 kernels off my system using MC
(Midnight Commander ) in the Terminal and my prob was solved. I just
used an earlier kernel which was still in the grub menu and updated the
grub menu and my laptop boots up fine at an alarming screaming speed.

Cheers!

garpea

On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 22:19 +0000, Ralf wrote:

> It is a kernel issue.
> If you start the system from the sub menu with kernel 3.16.0.34 system will
> boot into login screen.
> Using kernel  3.16.0.36 will cause a system hang on bootup at the point
>
> ... Installing initial ramdisk

  Why is my laptop not booting up after a major 112M update yesterday?

  Running Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS only. After a major
  112MB update yesterday, laptop will not boot up properly. I have to
  manually power it down and reboot it to get to use a previous recovery
  mode. Is their some way to correct this issue?