I stand by what I said before. After that comment, I did only these four
steps:

1. Install Ubuntu on a clean partition.
2. Pair and connect using the Bluetooth UI in the Ubuntu desktop (BT icon →
Bluetooth Settings). In other words, use normally.
3. Immediately (not sure if it makes any difference), list the device address
using bluez-list-devices (see output at the end).
4. Issue the following command:

sudo bluez-test-device trusted 30:59:B7:73:B6:C6 yes

Done. It works indefinitely. I can confirm that.

The output of bluez-list-devices:

[ /org/bluez/776/hci0 ]
   …
   Address = C4:17:FE:(hidden)
   …
   Devices = dev_30_59_B7_73_B6_C6
   …
   [ /org/bluez/776/hci0/dev_30_59_B7_73_B6_C6 ]
        Product = 0x07a2
        Services = dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('o'),
variant_level=1)
        Class = 0x000580
        Alias = Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse
        Icon = input-mouse
        Blocked = 0
        Connected = 1
        Address = 30:59:B7:73:B6:C6
        Version = 0x0129
        UUIDs = 0x1000 0x1124 0x1200
        Name = Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse
        Adapter = /org/bluez/776/hci0
        Trusted = 1
        Vendor = 0x045e
        Paired = 1

I still have a few problems with the mouse wheel (sometimes it stops
working briefly). Also, the connection takes 3 to 5 seconds to
reestablish (perceptible after returning from a suspend), but other than
that it works fine, and, most importantly, the connection is kept
between reboots and suspends.

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  MS Sculpt Touch Mouse needs to be re-paired periodically

Status in GNOME Bluetooth:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-bluetooth package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez source package in Precise:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-bluetooth source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez source package in Quantal:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-bluetooth source package in Quantal:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez source package in Raring:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-bluetooth source package in Raring:
  Won't Fix
Status in bluez package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  [Impact] The patch makes Microsoft Wedge/Sculpt Touch mice stay connected.
  [Test Case] Get a Microsoft Wedge/Sculpt Touch mouse, pair it, restart
session, watch it automatically re-pair.
  [Regression Potential] Little. The patched piece of XML is only relevant to
hardware having the same ID.

  When you don't use the mouse for a long enough time, the mouse
  disconnects and won't reconnect. I have to go into bluetooth settings,
  remove it, and re-pair it.

  1)
  ~ % lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  2)
  ~ % apt-cache policy bluez
  bluez:
    Installed: 4.98-2ubuntu7
    Candidate: 4.98-2ubuntu7
    Version table:
   *** 4.98-2ubuntu7 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3)
  I expected the mouse to reconnect automatically, or at least after I try to
reconnect manually through the bluetooth settings.

  4)
  I have to re-pair the mouse in order to use it again. Turning the mouse off
and on doesn't work either.