colin-king: I have not yet heard of thermald, will try it out after this
comment.

First I have new (and to me, confusing) information.

To run apport-collect, i first booted it *without* "acpi=off nolapic" so
it has wi-fi (but no fan). After it finished booting, I put it to
suspend to let it cool down a bit (it already passed 70°C after loading
X). When I woke it up, the fan worked!

Two reboots confirm this behaviour; If you load it up to X without the
fan, press Power button (to get the menu which allows you to suspend),
suspend it, and then wake it up, the fan starts and correctly scales
with temperature.

A stress --cpu 3 gets it to 69-70 °C, and the fan gets really loud but
it keeps the cpu at that temperature. If you CTRL-C the stress, it cools
down to around 58°C within one second or so and then the fan slows down.

-----

Now to the apport-collect I was asked to run: It told me that it would
be better to spawn a new bug report with apport-bug (maybe marking it as
duplicate) instead of sending data to this one. Should I listen to its
recommendation?

  fan only works when my acer 5315 is booted then stops

Status in acpi package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: acpi

  fan only works when my acer 5315 is booted then stops.i have a acer
  aspire 5315 laptop. My fan stopped working after installing ubuntu
  from vista. ive changed it for a new one and still the same problem.
  no dust aswel. please help

  Package: acpi 1.5-2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386