Public bug reported:

CONFIG_DRM_I915_PRELIMINARY_HW_SUPPORT is currently enabled, probably so
that testing prerelease hardware is more convenient.

But it has it's downsides too, the most important being that a release
might ship with a kernel that has limited driver support for the new
hardware, causing issues like the installer booting to a blank screen or
crashing halfway through. In these cases it's best to rely on the
fallback gfx driver so that the system can be installed and also used
with limited functionality, until a proper (and possibly a 3rd party)
kernel can be installed.

This is also what upstream suggests for us to do. The setting can be
overriden on kernel cmdline, so it allows testing said hw with
i915.preliminary_hw_support=1.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton)

  CONFIG_DRM_I915_PRELIMINARY_HW_SUPPORT should be disabled

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description: