On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 11:40 +0000, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> mckeimic, this bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any
> activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? If
> so, could you please test for this with the latest development release
> of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com
> /daily-live/current/ .
>
> If it remains an issue, could you please run the following command in
> the development release from a Terminal
> (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), as it will automatically gather
> and attach updated debug information to this report:
>
> apport-collect -p linux <replace-with-bug-number>
>
> Also, could you please test the latest upstream kernel available following
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds ? It will allow additional
> upstream developers to examine the issue. Please do not test the daily
> folder, but the one all the way at the bottom. Once you've tested the
> upstream kernel, please comment on which kernel version specifically you
> tested. If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
> tags:
> kernel-fixed-upstream
> kernel-fixed-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER
>
> where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested. For
> example:
> kernel-fixed-upstream-v3.11
>
> This can be done by clicking on the yellow circle with a black pencil icon
> next to the word Tags located at the bottom of the bug description. As well,
> please remove the tag:
> needs-upstream-testing
>
> If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the following tags:
> kernel-bug-exists-upstream
> kernel-bug-exists-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER
>
> As well, please remove the tag:
> needs-upstream-testing
>
> Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug's
> Status as Confirmed. Please let us know your results. Thank you for your
> understanding.
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
>      Assignee: Ubuntu Kernel Team (ubuntu-kernel-team) => (unassigned)

Hi Christopher,
If I remember correctly I got in touch with a kernel/X developer who
pointed me in direction of a newer kernel. This fixed the flickering
(which was really annoying).
I am now on 12.04 and the flickering is gone. I'm not sure if you can
mark this bug as corrected, but it was fixed in a newer kernel.

I cannot find the answer email and it's been an ubuntu upgrade since
then, so can't give you much help with which kernel I used (it was
something with 999 in it, but that is close to what I remember)

Thanks for following up.

Trond

  [RV530] screen flickers in lucid lynx [Needs pll quirk]

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: xorg

  Starting as ubuntu (lucid lynx beta out of the box) boot screen
  appears, the entire screen begins flickering with horizantal lines
  across. The image sometimes jumps up and down making it very
  distracting and sometimes impossible to read the screen at all. The
  screen was all but illegible last boot.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386