We now have 12 hours with our entire KVM cluster running on 3.8.0-30
with no outage.  Including our high Network I/O guests now.

I will post success/failure once more this week, for final load
verification.

  KVM/QEMU guest bridged network loss on kernels 3.8.0-27, and 29

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  We have experienced problems on Raring with bridged KVM/QEMU guests
  loosing network connection after upgrading any host server to kernel
  3.8.0-27, and 3.8.0-29.  This has occurred on 4 separate host
  machines.

  This tends to happen sooner / more often, to guests which generate
  more traffic than others.  The only way to recover networking is to
  shutdown or force-stop the guest, and restart it.  We have attempted
  to do a live-migration of a guest in this condition, which resulted in
  the source-host server kernel panicing.

  All host diagnostics including: ifconfig, "virsh domiflist", and
  "brctl show" outputs look identical to working guests.  On the guest,
  the interface appears up, there are no syslog errors, the guest can
  ping it's own address, but any outgoing communication fails.

  This looks just like Ubuntu Precise bug #997978, which affected us
  last year as well..