I've noticed similar problem on nexus 4 rc-proposed.

I've tried to describe it in this bug report #1524939

This could come from ofono package too (sometime it show x icons
speaker, sometimes the bluetooth speaker icon). Even with the bluetooth
speaker icon, it's doesn't work sometimes. For me I've to manually
disconnect and reconnect or more "forget" the bluetooth car system and
do a new connection to it.

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  bluetooth & car handsfree issue

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:

  When playing music through headphone output connected to aux car radio
  input and going to call someone while driving, i only hear some
  "beeps" and apparently the call was succesfull but i can't hear
  anything and no sound is transmitted . In the phone screen appears the
  speaker icon with an x (like there is no speaker connected) but phone
  and car are paired correctly.

  In addition to, when to SIM cards are inserted y only receive call
  through bluetooth for the one i have selected as default, for the
  other SIM, ring tones sounds in phone speaker and no through bluetooth
  device.

  Device: BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition
  Channel: RC-proposed
  Version: r604