I get the same or very similar behaviour running Kubuntu 15.10 running
under VMWare Fusion on a Mac. After doing a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
the vm fails to boot, getting stuck on the boot logo. Hitting escape
right after the machine starts shows me the boot log, and it gets wedged
on the line "starting terminate plymouth boot screen", indicating to me
that perhaps it is video related.

I have reproduced this twice by taking a copy of another VM and
performing the same update.

Once wedged, no combination of keys has any effect, and I'm unable to
boot to a console because I don't get a grub menu on boot (it's in quiet
mode by default?).  The HD is not encrypted, but one home directory is
encrypted with ecryptfs. Being a bit of a noob, I was unable to rollback
to previous kernel version (not sure how to do it if I can't get to a
console), but I was able to get my data from the volume and provision
another VM. I'll try provisioning a fresh VM from 15.10 iso to see if it
is easily reproduced, or if there is something particular about my
install.

  After linux kernel update system won't boot

Status in linux source package in Wily:

  Whenever I try updating packages listed bellow via Software Updater,
  Ubuntu gets stuck on purple screen after restart. No key combination
  seems to do anything. I can login to desktop only via recovery and
  then normal boot option. I'm using Ubuntu 15.10.

  linux-generic
  installed version 4.2.0.16.18
  available version 4.2.0.30.33

  linux-firmware
  Installed version: 1.149
  Available version: 1.149.3

  linux-headers-generic
  Installed version: 4.2.0.16.18
  Available version: 4.2.0.30.33

  linux-image-generic
  Installed version: 4.2.0.16.18
  Available version: 4.2.0.30.33

  linux-headers-4.2.0-30
  Installed version: None
  Available version: 4.2.0-30.35

  linux-image-extra-4.2.0-30-generic
  Installed version: None
  Available version: 4.2.0-30.35

  linux-libc-dev
  Installed version: 4.2.0-16.19
  Available version: 4.2.0-30.35

  linux-headers-4.2.0-30-generic
  Installed version: None
  Available version: 4.2.0-30.35

  linux-image-4.2.0-30-generic
  Installed version: None
  Available version: 4.2.0-30.35

  I'm not sure if all of them seams to cause the problem.