Public bug reported:

I installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 14.04.4 64-bit as a guest VM in
VMWare Workstation 12.1.0.

After installation, I  log into the system.Ran the updater and install
the latest updates.

After installing the updates and restarting, the system could not  log
in

I tried 4 times

The same result

  Ubuntu 14.04 VMWare guest can not log in after last update