I have a linux task included because this can also be approached from a
kernel perspective (https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/22/733).

** Description changed:

  Recently it's been observed that mokutil is unable to make changes to
  the various Mok* variables.  It complains that  "fails to request state"
  when trying most actions or similar errors.

  The root of these problems is because the variables have been set as
immutable after this kernel commit:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/ed8b0de5a33d2a2557dce7f9429dca8cb5bc5879

- In many instances mokutil will delete the variable and recreate it, so
- changing it with chattr isn't a workable solution as the kernel will
+ In many instances mokutil 0.2 will delete the variable and recreate it,
+ so changing it with chattr isn't a workable solution as the kernel will
  just recreate it with the immutable attribute and it will fail over
  again.
-
- I've submitted a kernel patch for this upstream:
- https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/22/733
-
- I feel this should be backported in Ubuntu's kernel as well.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  "fails to request state" when trying to perform actions in mokutil

Status in mokutil package in Ubuntu:

  Recently it's been observed that mokutil is unable to make changes to
  the various Mok* variables.  It complains that  "fails to request
  state" when trying most actions or similar errors.

  The root of these problems is because the variables have been set as
immutable after this kernel commit:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/ed8b0de5a33d2a2557dce7f9429dca8cb5bc5879

  In many instances mokutil 0.2 will delete the variable and recreate
  it, so changing it with chattr isn't a workable solution as the kernel
  will just recreate it with the immutable attribute and it will fail
  over again.