Affects me  too.

Lubuntu 14.04 LTS Live CD performs well with keyboard and mouse. I use a
Pentium 4 desktop PC from 2003 with 512 MB RAM.

After install of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS over an old 12.04 onto hard disk my
PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse are no longer recognized. Thus cannot log in
when the X login dialog appears.

The hint of @Nikolai Kristiansen showed the good direction, but was not so
simply realizable as in the given link. When running the Live system I cannot
install any package to the hard disk. So I firstly had to try to boot from the
hard disk.
I had to acquire the GRUB boot menu by holding down the SHIFT key when booting.
Then I booted an older kernel linux-13.0-74-generic instead of the lastly
installed linux-3.16.0-4-686-pae or linux-3.16.0-4-586. On a really fresh
install I would not have it. With this kernel keyboard and mouse were
functional.
When running the installed system with the older kernel from hard disk, `uname
-r`did not help, as it returns the kernel version of the currently running
system.

With Synaptic I searched for linux-image, but did not find anything for
the kernel version  3.16.0-4 of the distribution Lubuntu 14.04. Instead
I installed the newest version of 3.16, that are linux-
image-3.16.0-67-generic and linux-image-extra-3.16.0-67-generic. This
updated also the boot menu to include the added kernel. When booting
with this kernel version, keyboard and mouse work OK. Still I have to
change the boot default.

So at least now my system is working, but I am unsure, if my
modifications lead to an insecure system.

Thanks to all, who tried to help.

  USB keyboard and mouse don't work

  I am installing Ubuntu 13.04 from a live USB key.  I downloaded the
  stable amd64 iso of Ubuntu 13.04 after it was released today.  It runs
  beautifully from a live USB key.  However, after installing the OS to
  my hard drive and rebooting, the keyboard and mouse both fail to work.
  They are standard USB input devices (US layout) which have worked for
  years on other versions of Red Hat and Ubuntu.  They work fine with
  the live USB version of the OS.

  I can't even log into the computer to collect bug data.  I've tried
  reinstalling several times, changing the install options.  Installing
  fresh on this computer, keeping only my old /home partition, and
  disallowing the installation of third-party software still produces
  the error.

  The same system has run several previous versions of Ubuntu without
  problems.

  Thanks for your help.