When did this problem first start?

If pressing the caps-lock key does not result in the caps-lock light
coming on, this sounds like it might be a kernel issue. Just after
starting a reboot, try pressing the escape key to view shutdown
messages.

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: upstart

  reboot does not work

Status in Upstart:
  Incomplete
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  When I do a reboot (be it through the lubuntu graphical log-out panel
  or with the "reboot" command in a shell) the system starts to do a
  shutdown, but then it freezes at some point.   I cannot figure out at
  which point exactly.   I cannot find anything suspicious in the logs.

  The system seems to turn off some things (keyboard lights go off, for
  instance),  but not others (lubuntu shutdown screen remains idle in
  the monitor, for example).

  Other related commands (poweroff, shutdown, halt...)  do work as
  expected.

  The system is a desktop Dell machine (circa 2008) that used to reboot
  fine with previous versions of lubuntu.

  Software:
  * lubuntu 13.04
  * upstart 1.8-ubuntu1

  If someone knows which log I should be looking at, please let me know and I
will add more info to this bug report.
  Thanks,