No, it's not that simple.

The kernel and anything is free to use the naming policy it wants, but
that's not the problem here. p* is still used in nvme, but there is a
numbering before that for the device ID -- nvme0n1 points to a "drive",
nvme0n1p1 points to a partition. This issue is in grub-installer, it's
just that I don't have NVMe drives to play with to figure it out.

Could someone seeing this issue please run the installer but just before
that, modify grub-installer to add "set -x" near the top so we can see
which part of grub-installer does the parsing wrong?

Reassigning to grub-installer since we don't need to bug the kernel team
for this...

** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) => grub-installer (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: grub-installer (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: grub-installer (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: grub-installer (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox)

  NVME partition names incorrect; should be nvme0p1, not nvme0n1

Status in grub-installer:
  New
Status in Linux:
  Unknown
Status in grub-installer package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  On T460s, I tried to install the wily daily build,  it could detect
  the nvme partition, at the end of installation, it prompt ' Unable to
  install GRUB in /dev/nvme'

  Oct 19 16:47:01 ubuntu grub-installer: info: Installing grub on '/dev/nvme'
  Oct 19 16:47:01 ubuntu grub-installer: info: grub-install does not support
--no-floppy
  Oct 19 16:47:01 ubuntu grub-installer: info: Running chroot /target
grub-install  --force "/dev/nvme"
  Oct 19 16:47:01 ubuntu grub-installer: Installing for i386-pc platform.
  Oct 19 16:47:02 ubuntu grub-installer: grub-install: error: cannot find a
GRUB drive for /dev/nvme.  Check your device.map.
  Oct 19 16:47:02 ubuntu grub-installer: error: Running 'grub-install  --force
"/dev/nvme"' failed.
  Oct 19 16:48:30 ubuntu systemd[1]: Started Session c2 of user ubuntu.

  Why it install to /dev/nvme, while not the /dev/nvme0n1?

  $ sudo grub-install --boot-directory /target/boot/grub /dev/nvme
  Installing for i386-pc platform
  grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/nvme.  Check your
device.map.

  $ sudo grub-install --boot-directory /target/boot/grub /dev/nvme0
  Installing for i386-pc platform
  grub-install: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk
`hostdisk/dev/nvme0'.

  $ sudo grub-install --boot-directory /target/boot/grub /dev/nvme0n1
  Installing for i386-pc platform
  Inatalltion finished. No error reported.

  But even it's no error reported, I still cant' find any grub after
  reboot.