I've adjusted the description for the alternate approach in doing this
entirely in the kernel.  I've submitted a patch to LKML for this here.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9148319/

** No longer affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  Dell systems with Type-C ports support a feature called "MAC address" pass
through.
  This feature allows systems to set a persistent system MAC address to be used
with the TB15, WD15 and Type-C ethernet adapter.

  More information is available here:
  http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN301147/en

  This function works by a system specific MAC address (referred to as an
  auxiliary mac address) being programmed in the factory.  When the driver
  for the type-c ethernet (in dock or dongle) is loaded the MAC address is
  supposed to be overridden with this value.

- To enable this in Linux I see 3 parts of the stack that need to be fixed:
- 1) The value of the auxiliary address needs to be exposed to the OS in the
kernel.
- 2) The "consistent driver naming scheme" needs to rename to the auxiliary
name in a udev rule.
- 3) Network Mangager needs to not reset to the HW address when this scenario
is detected.
-
- For 1:
- ------
- I've added support for bubbling up this information from the kernel into
sysfs in:
- /sys/devices/platform/dell-laptop/auxiliary_mac
-
- Through this patch:
- https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9047581/
-
- Here is a sample of what it's output looks like:
- $ cat /sys/devices/platform/dell-laptop/auxiliary_mac
- 847BEB5992D2
-
- When that patch is accepted upstream, it will need to be backported to
- Ubuntu to enable exporting this data.
-
- For 2:
- ------
- I've got a udev rule and helper script that will do this part.  I'll attach
it to this bug.
-
- For 3:
- ------
- Network manager needs to know to reset the ethernet adapter to the original
MAC address but rather to this value (if available).  As it stands today even
with the udev rule in place if network manager is running it immediately resets:
-
- NetworkManager[4513]: <info>  [1462846115.2330] device (en847BEB5992D2):
- reset MAC address to 9C:EB:E8:30:B0:A8
-
- squashing the udev rule.
+ To enable this in Linux a kernel patch is needed.
+ This has been submitted https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9148319/

  Dell dock MAC Address pass through doesn't work in Ubuntu