** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  daemon crashing and going defunct prevents suspend

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-settings-daemon

  since upgrading to 10.04 from 9.10, i've had occasional problems
  suspending my laptop. it seems that the gnome-settings-daemon crashes
  and goes defunct:

  igor47    1987  0.0  0.4 385652 16692 ?        Ds   May11   0:24
  /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon

  it then prevents the system from suspending

  May 16 22:21:10 localhost kernel: [181200.590107] INFO: task
gnome-settings-:1987 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
  May 16 22:21:10 localhost kernel: [181200.590116] "echo 0 >
/proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message

  the timeout takes a long time, and i've frequently found myself
  thinking my laptop has successfully suspended only to discover it
  several hours later, extremely warm in my bag.

  i've been trying to figure out how to disable gnome-settings-manager
  as a workaround, but i have no idea what even starts it up (or what
  the effects of this would be; it does appear that gnome-settings-
  manager has any documentation which explains what it does...)