Hi Dinki (curious-mitchell)
I think the point is that this laptop IS supplied AND certified for Ubuntu
single boot and as so is supplied in BIOS (they say Legacy) mode.
The LCD back-light issue appeared as a regression for the ones who stayed in
BIOS mode, but also appeared for those who switched to UEFI in the aim of
double boot with win8. I can't say which ones was the first to meet the
problem. **Maybe** using an elder Win compatible with BIOS **could** be a
workaround.
The Intel features furbished with UEFI are not supported in Linux, and Mr Linus
himself explained why he thinks EFI "sucks"
http://kerneltrap.org/node/6884
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/linus-torvalds-i-will-not-change-linux-to-deep-throat-microsoft/
https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/QLe3tSmtSM4

Maybe this all could help you understanding why we have this "such an ongoing
issue"
More: searching about the issue, I found here on launchpad that there are 2
different machines about which the issue is reported: the Dell l322x and the
former l321x, both called xps13, what maybe has added confusion.

For me, I bought this l322x certified with Ubuntu because I was fed up with old
laptops still having various issues with some piece of hardware in Linux, and
at the same time I decided to forgive Windows. Although I am quite newby in
Linux and forgiving Windows is another issue for me, I ***decided*** this is my
price for the price.
Whatever I must admit that even once this huge step is walked, small issues
remain in my l322x, such as hibernation/thaw hanging sometimes, always-on
blue-tooth on reboot, a small keyboard back-light miss-behaviour and a
touch-pad that I can't set as I want, but maybe this is because I decided to
jump into Raring (for which I knew the laptop **was not certified** although it
was claimed that all sputnik stuff was embedded) at the same time I reinstalled
the OS to remove the bunch of MS-DOS partitions upon which the supplied 12.04
was supplied (now a single / and swap are enough, and even this last is for
hibernation only).
To end in an honest remark, I never had real issues while installing Services
Pack onto either clients and servers machines from WinNT4 to Win7, and I must
admit that the rhythm and depth of changes in Ubuntu remains frightening to me.

Have a good day

  Brightness control broken on XPS13 with 3.8.0-16 and 3.8.0-22

Status in The Linux Kernel:
  Incomplete
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “linux” source package in Raring:

  Since 3.8.0-16, the brightness control doesn’t work anymore.
  The popup is displayed, so the shortcut keys do work correctly, but it has no
effect on the actual brightness of the screen.

  Switching back to 3.8.0-15 solves the issue.

  Package: linux-image-3.8.0-16-generic 3.8.0-16.26
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  coucouf    1837 F.... pulseaudio
  Date: Wed Apr  3 08:29:58 2013
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-precise-amd64-20120703-2
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=e49e9eae-f16f-45bb-ad2c-b6da5c0c6f6d
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20120703-15:08
  MachineType: Dell Inc. Dell System XPS L322X
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-16-generic
root=UUID=3f6858e1-d8f5-44c4-b8e9-5ab8b9639ba7 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.8.0-16-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.8.0-16-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.104
  SourcePackage: linux
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-04-02 (0 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 01/22/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A07
  dmi.board.name: 0PJHXN
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A00
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.version: 0.1
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA07:bd01/22/2013:svnDellInc.:pnDellSystemXPSL322X:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0PJHXN:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr0.1:
  dmi.product.name: Dell System XPS L322X
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.