As this issue was very annoying, I bought a headset-adapter and switched
away from using a USB audio device to using the built-in audio adapter
of my Thinkpad X121e, so this issue was off my radar. Sorry for the lack
of feedback. I've just given the latest kernel a test and it still
happens, which is to be expected, given that my device is connected to
an OHCI-controller, not EHCI. I'll give Alan's latest OHCI-patch a try.

  raring-updates: regression: 3.8.0-24.35 causes sporadic failure of USB
  audio devices

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  The 3.8.0-24.35 kernel update in raring introduced sporadic failure of
  USB audio devices. The symptoms are that the device suddenly stops
  working and you get the following dmesg output:

  [ 7532.838274] cannot submit urb (err = -18)
  [ 7532.838283] cannot submit urb (err = -18)
  [ 7532.838291] cannot submit urb (err = -18)
  [ 7532.842224] delay: estimated 288, actual 96
  [ 7532.922160] delay: estimated 432, actual 96

  This bug has been introduced by the following commits (UHCI: implement new
semantics for URB_ISO_ASAP, OHCI: implement new semantics for URB_ISO_ASAP):

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c44b225077bb1fb25ed5cd5c4f226897b91bedd4

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=6a41b4d3fe8cd4cc95181516fc6fba7b1747a27c

  A fix has been released (USB: fix latency in uhci-hcd and ohci-hcd):

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e1944017839d7dfbf7329fac4bdec8b4050edf5e

  The fix hasn't been backported to 3.8 yet, but as this bug was
  introduced to raring by pulling upstream kernel changes, it would be
  nice to backport the fix to raring as soon as possible.

  For further reference:

http://markmail.org/message/gt554vejrjkutsfw#query:+page:1+mid:gt554vejrjkutsfw+state:results
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/85343
  http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2013-05/msg01617.html