------- Comment From cdead...@us.ibm.com 2016-07-21 13:15 EDT-------
==== State: Working by: tgrobeck on 21 July 2016 12:07:44 ====
I have tested that with the 4.4.0-31 kernel (which I am told has the patch), an
adapter in slot C9 will not cause the system to boot up to the operating system.

Cold IPLed the system twice with an adapter in the P1-C9 slot, and the
system IPLed to the operating system both times.

root@x1517p1:~# uname -a
Linux x1517p1 4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 13 00:05:18 UTC 2016
ppc64le ppc64le ppc64le GNU/Linux

root@x1517p1:~# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/";
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/";
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/";
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

  FlashGT - In Tuleta 8284-22A with card in card slot P1-C9, system
  Fails to boot operating system

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Placed card in card slot P1-C9
  After powering chassis on, system comes up to Petitboot and attempts to load
operating system.
  "Ubuntu 16.04.  .  .  ." continues to print on the console for about 2 or
more minutes, then system drops to an "(initramfs)" prompt.
  When attemped to "exit", message indicated:
  "Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
   - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
     - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
     - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
   - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
  ALERT!  UUID=4211fb0b-382d-4f3f-8fbd-47b57e24326d does not exist.  Dropping
to a shell!

  BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

  (initramfs)"

  In order to have this bug solved, we need to have the following patch
integrated. Can Canonical please include it in 16.04 kernel?

  https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/642920/