I just purchased the same laptop today, installed Ubuntu 16.04 first
thing and the only glitch was the trackpad.

Following the instructions shared by the reporter, I was able to use the
trackpad.

So, I can confirm that this is indeed a bug and the workaround might be
a bit intimidating for the average user who is looking to use Ubuntu.
Would be really great if this worked out-of-the-box :)

Thanks a ton everyone for the good work. I am glad the reporter shared
the workaround.

Gratitude to everyone who will work on fixing this!

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Dell Inspiron 5555 touchpad not working

  Installed Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit (also Linux Mint and other Ubuntu 16.04
  based distros) on my Dell Inspiron 5555 AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6.

  The touchpad sort-of works for a few seconds (pointer moves but
  cliking fails) and after a while it hangs completely. The USB mouse
  works with no issues though.

  I've found following the steps given here
  http://askubuntu.com/a/632570/55128 works:

  1. Run
      $ sudo -H gedit /etc/default/grub

  In the open window edit line

      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

  it should look this way

      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i8042.nopnp"

  Save file and run

      $ sudo update-grub

  2. Run
      $ echo "blacklist i2c_hid" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i2c-hid.conf
      $ sudo depmod -a
      $ sudo update-initramfs -u
      $ echo "synaptics_i2c" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

  3. Reboot.