/mvac21dellCompaqNx6325FanDust.jpg
Freezing may have a hardware cause; for example a laptop that ran okay
for a while but did freeze was found to have a fan that was totally
clogged up with compressed dust. After cleaning it runs Xubuntu 14.04
for months (with overnight hibernation) with no stability issues.

On 09/08/16 07:07, Yrjö Pokkinen wrote:
> [...]
>> the CPU: pae.”
>>
>> Almost all solutions suggest selecting Advanced Options or F6 on the menu
>> but we found neither menu option shown; instead our boot menu screen
>> shows...
>> * Help
>> * Try Xubuntu without installing
>> * Install Xubuntu
>> * Check disc for defects
>> * Test memory
>> * Boot from first hard disk
>>
>> Sysinfo tells us we have a Pentium(R) M processor (as in the Bug
>> description) so is suitable to use forcepae as other solutions say.
>>
>> Although not listed in our boot menu we found we could cheat and press
>> F6 then Tab to get a command line that could be appended to. However we
>> would prefer a menu system that worked especially if the 'live memstick'
>> is to be used more than once.
>>
>> A solution is to mount the 'live memstick' into a working Xubuntu system
>> and edit it, for example...
>> sudo mousepad extlinux.conf
>> For every line starting "append initrd=" append " forcepae -- forcepae"
>>
>> An example for menu option "Try Xubuntu without installing":
>> BEFORE: append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed
>> boot=casper quiet splash --- persistent
>> AFTER: append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed
>> boot=casper quiet splash --- persistent forcepae -- forcepae
>>
>> Booting from the edited live USB memstick showed the PAE error replaced
>> by an advisory that the PAE test is being bypassed and normal menu
>> operation takes place.
>>
>> Asides:
>> * The result of choosing Default in the above boot menu is not described
>> however we can see the 'command line' this option is associated with in
>> extlinux.conf and note it does not re-appear in any of the other options
>> presented.
>> * The command line that appears under 'the cheat' above has an unknown
>> action.
>> * Although our command line included "--- persistent" and a file of
>> expected size named casper-rw is generated we have yet to see signs that
>> this Unetbootin feature is working.
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1586748
>>
>> Title:
>>    Lubuntu 16.04 does not install on a non-pae processor
>>
>> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
>>    Invalid
>>
>> Bug description:
>>    I have Acer Aspire 1410 notebook with Pentium M processor.I tried to
>> install Lubuntu 16.04. When I used forcepae option two times in boot menu
>> options installation begin. After a while installation stops always to:
>> [drm:intel_set_cpu_fifo_underrun_reporting[i915] Error Pipe A unknown]
>> And acerhdf unknown.
>>    Previous Lubuntu 14.04 installed went just fine, with forcepae option.
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

** Attachment added: "mvac21dellCompaqNx6325FanDust.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1586748/+attachment/4717410/+files/mvac21dellCompaqNx6325FanDust.jpg