The issue appeared after changing from upstart to systemd a few days
before so I can't tell you if this worked with a prior kernel and
systemd. But with upstart I have never seen this behavior before.

  Permanent I/O from kworker and ecryptfs

Status in Linux:
  Unknown
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 dev and after upgrading from upstart to systemd
  (231-6) I'm noticing that if the system is on idle (even if only
  booted to the login screen) there are permanent I/O activities on my
  hard disk drive. On making a look with inotifywait this happens by
  permanently accessing files in /home/.ecryptfs/sworddragon/.Private
  (but no I/O appears at the transparent mountpoint at
  /home/sworddragon). On making a look with iotop the only I/O
  activities are comming from kworker (and sometimes jbd2) at this time.