** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Tim Gardner (timg-tpi)

  4.8 regression: SLAB is being used instead of SLUB

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  We're seeing hundreds of kernel worker threads being spawned with some
  actions, for example, after booting the desktop and hutting the
  brightness keys causes this.  On investigation, this occurs when
  CONFIG_SLAB is being used.

  1. Ubuntu traditionally uses CONFIG_SLUB, so we should use that instead of
CONFIG_SLAB (why was it changed for Yakkety?)
  2. With CONFIG_SLUB I cannot reproduce the issue of the hundreds for worker
threads
  3 CONFIG_SLUB seems more performant on the boot too over SLAB.

  Please re-enable the CONFIG_SLUB allocator as per the 4.4. Xenial
  configs.