Note: For kernel work, I only use and compile kernels from the main
kernel.org git branch. I steal the Ubuntu kernel configuration.

The issue of a high number of kworker threads does not exist in kernel 4.6, but
does in 4.7-rc1.
When using "SLUB" it is a little difficult to detect on my Yakkety test Laptop,
however it is fairly easy to detect on my 16.04 server. When using "SLAB" it is
trivial to detect on either computer.

A bisection is going to take:

"Bisecting: 5788 revisions left to test after this (roughly 13 steps)"

Which I can only get to on about Tuesday or Wednesday.

  4.8 regression: SLAB is being used instead of SLUB

Status in linux source package in Yakkety:

  We're seeing hundreds of kernel worker threads being spawned with some
  actions, for example, after booting the desktop and hutting the
  brightness keys causes this.  On investigation, this occurs when
  CONFIG_SLAB is being used.

  1. Ubuntu traditionally uses CONFIG_SLUB, so we should use that instead of
CONFIG_SLAB (why was it changed for Yakkety?)
  2. With CONFIG_SLUB I cannot reproduce the issue of the hundreds for worker
threads
  3 CONFIG_SLUB seems more performant on the boot too over SLAB.

  Please re-enable the CONFIG_SLUB allocator as per the 4.4. Xenial
  configs.