In the standard 3.13 kernels for 14.04 the touchpad wasn't supported at all.
Therefore it worked, but it was impossible to turn off its most irritating
feature which was tap to click. Most implementations at least give the
option to disable this when typing, but the default generic implementation
didn't even have that, rendering the touchpad worse than useless as it was
impossible to avoid touching it whilst typing, resulting for example in the
point of input in emails and editors getting randomly moved to wherever the
pointer happened to be. I found some info claiming that this was fixed in
3.19 where there was a real ALPS touchpad driver. However, the effect of the
fix was simply to disable the touchpad completely, at least for my laptop. I
discovered that it was still possible to enable tap to click should I happen
to want that, so clearly the driver was doing something. However, it did not
contain any support for moving the pointer that I could find. Then the 3.19
kernel (vivid) got replaced during an upgrade to the xenial series 4 kernel
as below. Unfortunately this didn't work any better, which is why I raised
the bug against 4.4.

I'll give the 4.8 kernel a go, but it will be a few days before the require
round tuits arrive.

  ALPS touchpad driver doesn't work

  First, the collected kernel version is wrong. I'm running
  4.4.0-36-generic, but inside ubuntu 14.04. Anyway, the touchpad
  refuses to act as a pointer mover. It will, if I let it, do tap to
  click (which is the last thing I want). But, as things stand, I'm
  forced to use the little button in the middle of the keyboard.
  Supposedly the 3.19 kernel was going to install a proper driver for
  the ALPS touchpad, and whilst at least I'm not now stuck with the
  generic driver and unable to turn off tap to click, I no longer have
  pointer movement.

  In the relevant bit of /proc I can see
  N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad"

  xinput shows this

  jon@harada:~$ xinput
  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                      id=4    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick                   id=11   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad                id=12   [slave  pointer
 (2)]

  so I assume there is a real driver at work.

  Package: linux-generic 3.13.0.95.103
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-36.55~14.04.1-generic 4.4.16
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.21
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jon        2099 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  jon        2099 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Sep 10 14:24:35 2016
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=9d74fe15-1696-413a-9428-cf9b52730f3e
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  MachineType: TOSHIBA TECRA Z50-A
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-36-generic
root=UUID=08d487a3-23ef-4d2a-916e-cafb168982ac ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.4.0-36-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.4.0-36-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.127.22
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 12/26/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.bios.version: Version 3.20
  dmi.board.asset.tag: 0000000000
  dmi.board.name: TECRA Z50-A
  dmi.board.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.board.version: Version A0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: 0000000000
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.chassis.version: Version 1.0
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnTOSHIBA:bvrVersion3.20:bd12/26/2013:svnTOSHIBA:pnTECRAZ50-A:pvrPT545E-00G00VEN:rvnTOSHIBA:rnTECRAZ50-A:rvrVersionA0:cvnTOSHIBA:ct10:cvrVersion1.0:
  dmi.product.name: TECRA Z50-A
  dmi.product.version: PT545E-00G00VEN
  dmi.sys.vendor: TOSHIBA